Thursday, March 3, 2011

Die-Hard Disney Girl

I am a Disney girl and I'm proud of it. I didn't know I was a Disney girl when I was young. Sure I watched the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights at seven o'clock just like everyone else did. I loved the non-animated Cinderella with Stuart Damon and Leslie Ann Warren. I wanted to be a Princess; wanted someone to come and sweep me off my feet; wanted someone to look at me like the Prince looked at her.

I was 14 the first time I went to Disneyworld. It was Spring break in 1975 and the Magic Kingdom was the only park open at the time. It was magical! I had never been anyplace that spectacular and the fireworks were like nothing I could even describe. I knew I wanted to go back but it wouldn't happen for a very long time.

Fast forward to 1997, I'm shopping at Carousel Center pushing my three-year-old in a stroller. I had been a stay-at-home mom since 1981 and I figured maybe I should apply for a part-time job just to get out of the house and earn a few bucks for fun. I had always said that if I ever decided to go to work, I would go directly to Disney Store. There was no other place I wanted to work. So in I went, pushing that stroller, wearing sweat pants and a men's flannel shirt and sporting some left over big hair from the 80's. Looking back, I'm surprised I got a call back.

I had NO experience with work. They gave me a chance and that was the beginning of my transformation. I must thank them for that. I learned that I was important; that I could do a job and be praised for it; that I was part of a team. I developed a voice. I found strength to do what I had to do in ending my marriage. It was still hard, but I had courage. My Disney Store experience was the beginning of the road that led me to where I am now.

The next time I set foot in Disneyworld, I was weeks away from my 43rd birthday. Now with four parks and two water parks to visit, I was absolutely hooked. It was apparent that this would be our vacation spot many times in the future. I took my two youngest back two more times and after finding the man of my dreams, we went back with him and his youngest and his step-daughter and had a blast introducing them to the wonders of Disney.

Now at fifty, I am still a Disney girl. A die-hard Disney girl. And now, I have my Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment