Thursday, June 9, 2011

Just

Just. It's just a word. Just.

The word "just" can be used in so many ways. Some good, some bad, some hurtful, some insignificant. "You're 'just' a mom." "'Just' do it!" "I 'just' want to be lazy."

I was a stay-at-home mom for many years. I don't regret it. We went without designer clothing, lavish vacations and expensive cars, but I was there to be the one to take care of my kids always. It was right for me; and for them. I support women in any decision they make, be it to work outside the home or not; to go to school or not; to be involved in their kids activities or not. The one phrase I have never used to describe another mom is, "You are just..."

There are ways to use the word to motivate the youngens. "'Just' do it!" "'Just' suck it up!" "'Just' get out there and look for a job!" "'Just' get OVER it!" "Life 'just' isn't fair." We were put on this Earth in 'just' our skin. The rest we have to work for. We must exhibit careful use of this word to encourage our kids, for if we use it in a painful way, ie "You're 'just' like your father," or "You're 'just' so lazy," it can cause a huge setback in what we parents are trying so hard to accomplish with our kids--teaching them how to sprout wings and fly. Our babies are 'just' wonderful and we 'just' want them to be happy.

"Just" go out there and make it a good day. Any day that you open your eyes in the morning is another opportunity to made a day special. It doesn't have to be something big. If I can make 'just' one person smile, my day has been the epitome of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment